Marketing on the Internet is an integral aspect of the modern business landscape. Now that the Internet has evolved into an invaluable marketing tool that could reach millions faster than traditional media could, many entrepreneurs scrambled to find their businesses a place on the World Wide Web in an effort to keep their enterprises up to date.
Internet marketing goes beyond simply propagating ads all over the Web. There are many other strategies that make use of various tools, but virtually every marketer and entrepreneur do not bring their businesses online without dabbling into search engine optimization.
Search engine optimization or SEO is essential when it comes to Internet marketing. As we all know, it is one of the most efficient methods to market a business on the Internet, as it leverages the fact that people use search engines to find things that they want online. To make it simple, SEO aims to make businesses immediately visible to those that are looking for what they could possibly offer online.
Many businesses however, particularly those that belong in the small and medium categories, are divided between hiring an in-house search engine optimizer and outsourcing all the SEO work to an external SEO company. While both cases lets you entrust the SEO work to people who know it best, it can’t be denied that there is a vast difference between the two, sparking online debates in blogs and forums whenever one decides to detail the benefits of one or the other. That begs the question: Is it better to do your SEO in-house by hiring an SEO specialist than outsource the work to an external SEO agency?
First off, let us analyze the benefits of working on your company’s SEO in-house. Getting the right person to do the work for your company means:
- The SEO integrates into your business process.
- Your SEO specialist can share useful knowledge of his trade, allowing your company to learn – or at least be familiar with the basics – of SEO.
- You are basically working with a professional that will share with your company’s goals and thus market your business better.
On the other hand, here are the good things that you’ll get when you outsource your SEO to an online marketing company:
- Hiring an SEO company is generally considered the more affordable option, especially in the long run.
- You – and your employees – neither need nor have to learn SEO as you can simply let the external SEO company do all the job for you.
- An SEO company has all the needed resources to do their work.
While some will argue that either option can be good for your business and that your choice depends on your budget and your preference. In my opinion however, you ought to get the best of both worlds – invest some money on hiring an SEO specialist, while you outsource some tasks to an external Internet marketing company. Coordination between someone who actually knows your company and an external staff often yields great results.