As we have discussed many times in the past, modern day search engine optimization revolves around content, thanks to various changes in Google’s search algorithm. How a site’s content is made and shared primarily determines how the website will fare in search results for its given keywords, alongside the website’s activity in the social media and the number of sites that link to it from all over the Internet.
Besides its effects on a site’s search engine ranking, content is also an effective means of online marketing. Well-written articles and well-made infographics not only gain a site traffic, but also the chance to establish its reputation and credibility in its field, thus gaining the business represented by the website followers and paying customers.
Viral content is perhaps the best way to market a website online through content. However, creating content that could quickly rise to popularity is a puzzle to many, especially those who are new to the online marketing business. Many would often struggle at creating one, at many times without realizing that one of the following types of content can make a big splash online:
- Controversial content. Did the pope just denounce gay marriage? Did a Hollywood celebrity go on a full Anti-Semitic rampage? Then you should write about it! You can join the love-hate bandwagon and stir up your readers, or you can start one yourself. Couple this type of content with attention-grabbing titles and you’re in for a treat.
- List type content. People have very low attention spans which make them ignore lengthy although interesting articles. Butchering up such articles into easy-to-read lists is a sure way to maintain your reader’s interest and make it more shareable.
- Tutorials. Everyone loves to learn something new. Helpful tutorials on various interesting and practical subjects like lifehacks and culinary arts are an easy way to get your site noticed. In addition, if the tutorials are novel and highly useful in nature, you’ll be sure that your content gets a massive amount of shares.
- Humorous content. You know you’d like to have a good laugh once in a while, and so does the next person. If you are quite the comedian, you can brandish your hearty sense of humor as a useful tool to draw in the crowd. Those who find your content funny are highly likely to spread it around and create a huge circle of laughs.
- Inspirational messages. While some may find such content cheesy, many others find philosophical quotes and pieces of advice appealing and worth sharing. This particularly works when your site is closely tied with social media, as all modern websites ought to be.
While the message of the content alone can make it go viral and lend your site moments of online fame or infamy, let’s not forget that content can go viral more quickly with the help of social media. Remember that going viral is all about spreading your word at the speed of light, and social media is perhaps the best tool for that job.